Zesty Lemon Cheesecake With Very Lemon Topping
- 1 ½ – 2 Cups Shortbread cookie crumbs (Approx. 10 cookies)
- ¼ Cup melted butter or margarine.
- 3 8oz.Pkg. Cream Cheese ( 2 8oz. Pkg. Neufchatel and 1 8oz. Fat Free Cream Cheese is what was used in this recipe)
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 3 Lg, Eggs
- Zest of one Lg. Lemon (save the remaining lemon for use in the topping)
- 1 tsp. Mexican Vanilla
- 10oz. Lemon Pie Filling
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- Zested Lemon Whites (grate the lemon down into the flesh, extracting some of the juices)
- ½ tsp. Mexican Vanilla
- Mix the cookie crumbs and melted butter together.
- After mixing, press into the bottom of a 9” spring form pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350*F. Remove and let cool while mixing the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add the Mexican Vanilla and mix.
- Zest the lemon peel into the mixture and blend together.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 370*F.; Remove from oven and let cool (about 30 minutes). Then take a butter knife and run around the edge to release from the spring form pan.
- In a small bowl mix together the lemon pie filling, sour cream, and sugar.
- Zest the lemon whites into the mixture. Zest all the way into the flesh releasing some of the juices.
- Spread the topping over the cheesecake. Refrigerate for several hours. Serve and enjoy!
*The remaining lemon can be frozen, juiced for later use, used for dinner, or used in tea.
I have always loved cheesecakes. I remember as a little girl thinking that the no-bake cheesecake was among the yummiest of things. Now, as a grown woman, I have a deep love and passion for baking all sorts of cheesecakes. I look forward to my daughter growing up helping me create these wonderful kitchen favorites.
I have taught myself to create cheesecakes using just about every type of cheese I can. Some of the harder or smoked cheeses can be used to make a main dish cheesecake. I have found that I do not particularly care for goat cheese. The pungent flavor of the goat cheeses does not seem to agree with my pallet. I do tell people I talk to that you don’t know if it works or if you will like it unless you try it! If you have a person in your life that can’t seem to get enough of your cooking (even if it is a dog) let them be your “taster”.
I have a basic rule of thumb for the dessert type cheesecakes. For every package of cream cheese use 1 egg and ¼ cup of sugar. This is what I have found that works for me. Sometimes I use less or more sugar. It just depends on how I feel and what I think will work. I have also used brown sugar as a topping. When I use sugar as a topping I usually leave out most of the sugar in the cheesecake itself. This helps to balance the sweetness of the cake.
This Zesty Lemon Cheesecake is a great one to have with iced tea. So as the warmer days start to appear, serve this up with a tall glass of iced tea. Not going to be warm yet? Hot tea and coffee also go very well with a slice of it!
I do hope you enjoy this cake. It’s one of my favorite creations.
©MaryMartha Miller, 2011